Skip to main content

Guilt

I was in 2nd year of college , had just given my final exams and was enjoying my summer break. Sitting at home after a while becomes difficult for everyone leave teenagers. To overcome my boredom I planned to do a summer job. With some help from my sisters friend I got one as a Counselor in an Institute where English and Computers were taught. I was determined to do this job as before this I had tried my hand in many other odd jobs and was unsuccessful . I was all prepared and strong willed not to give up this one before a month. 

My first day at the job went knowing my work and getting familiar with the working of the Institute. Initially I found the place good, but as an when things progressed I saw the ugly side of it. The Institute was charging way too much money for the English speaking course and there were no qualified teachers to teach the students. I interacted with a few students on a personal front and got to know that what all was promised to the students was not delivered. People were falling into their trap blindly As and when I came to know about the ways of the Institute I just couldn't do my work properly.

The thing that always came in my mind was that I was a partner in fooling innocent people who came there with the hope of speaking fluent English someday. At the same time I also wanted to complete at least a month of job. My mind and heart were not in my work and the admissions to the English speaking course were on a decline. I was constantly being told by the supervisor to get more admissions. 

 In the last week of my job,I was happy that I was leaving the place soon and on one rainy day I took a rickshaw after work to my home. As I sat on the rickshaw and the rickshaw puller had peddled a kilometer, he turned around and asked me.." Madam aap English speaking wala institute main kaam kartey ho?"(Do you work in the English Speaking Institute?) 

 I hurriedly replied "yes" and told him to look in front while pulling the rickshaw. The rickshaw wala said mam I want to take admission in the institute as I want to learn how to speak English.This time his attention was on the road,(Thank god) I was surprised as to why a rickshaw puller wanted to learn English. I asked him why and he replied "I have given my 1st year college exams through IGNOU and I plan to sit for the IAS exam, I am poor hence I cannot afford a class anywhere else and I have heard that in you're institute the fees is comparatively less and you can pay in three installments" 

 I was pleasantly surprised and happy to see the determination by which this guy was telling me all this and then suddenly I realized that this was my chance to do the thing I had been planning to for a while, to tell the truth about my workplace .With full conviction I told the guy not to take admission in the institute and told him the areas where all it lacked and advised him to save money and take up admission in a good institute which is affiliated form somewhere and to take a trial class before enrolling himself  into one. 

The guy listened to me while peddling the rickshaw and when it came to a stop he thanked me enough to relieve me from some burden I had been carrying at night before sleeping I thanked god.  As the week ended so did my job and It was time for me to join back my college. I left the place with a smile and a light heart . I am so thankful to god that I was able to help at least one of the many people.I got my money after two weeks and then I bought myself some stuff... I know I wouldn't have been able to if I hadn't met the rickshaw puller that day.

A little not that less,
I did my bit, I guess :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Searching

The land of gods Dev Bhoomi (Himachal Pradesh). My connection with the place goes back to my birth. I never really got a chance to know about my roots as I was living in a concrete jungle and was happy with the fast pace life there. During summer holidays our destination had always been.. yes...Himachal. As a kid I never really enjoyed my summer vacations here as I had no friends to spend time with but the only relief was the escape from the  Delhi heat which made me escape to this paradise. To pass 2 months in solitude was really hard. The silence of the jungles near my Grandmother's place made me even more reluctant to go there every summer. But I did. kids don't have a choice.. Do they? During my childhood days my friends used to envy me when they heard that I am from Shimla as for everyone it was a tourist paradise. I never really felt connected to the place what so ever. They used to ask me all sort of questions related to the place which I managed to  answer most of

Then and Now

This was the time when cell phone technology was comparatively new than the bulky land-line phone. I am talking about 2001, I had just got over with my school and that too with exceptionally good marks. Much better marks than I or anyone ever expected out of me and on exceeding everyone's expectations I got a cell phone which I always wanted but never got until now as a reward. I was all set to enter a new phase in my life-"The College Life" and was looking forward to it anxiously. Those days the call tariffs were very high especially high for a fresh college going student like me. My craze for cell phones was at peak during those days as one would never have found me without my cell phone..that too in my hands at all times. My cellphone bared the brunt of falling from my hands many a times due to this. I Got scolded from my elders, My friends made funny and silly jokes about me and my cell phone addiction. which I never paid heed to.  It was like my soul mate...  At